Saturday, April 7, 2012

State of the Rant Address

February 23, 2010 at 11:59AM. That is the day I decided to accept a Full-Time position in the Macy’s Human Resources Department. It’s a day I often think about and remember it as if it were yesterday.

April 4, 2010 at 3:23PM. That is the last time my fingers touched the keyboard of the Ramey Rant Blog. It’s been 2 long years. 24 thoughtless months. 734 days of indifference. It’s a day I had put so far into the back of my mind that it feels like another lifetime ago.

Two years ago, I made the tough, but conscious decision to abandon all dreams I had of becoming a writer and began to focus on my “career.” If what my job has become can be classified as a “career”, then I wish I had Doc Brown and a DeLorean with me, because I want to go back in time and slap the February 23, 2010 Chris in the face.

People make mistakes; it’s a part of what makes us human. Putting down my pen in favor of a shirt and tie was a mistake. If you know me at all, you know that I am not a spontaneous person; I don’t make decisions on a whim. Every aspect of my life is all a part of well-thought out process, from what I’m wearing, to what CD I listen to in my car. So the fact that in one singular moment I forever changed my life was the beginning of the end of the Rant. That is extremely hard to fathom in my mind.

The Rant was the reason I got out of bed in the morning. When I was having a tough day or needed to vent my frustrations, I’d turn to my writing. It was a sort of therapeutic release for me, to focus my stress on a certain subject and just write. And then without so much as even a second thought, I took the money and the easy way out and I let it slip away.

Someone once said “life is all about timing, the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable becomes available, the unattainable…attainable. Have the patience, wait it out. It’s all about the timing”

Well, two years have passed at the office, the unreachable is still unreachable, the unavailable, still unavailable. The unattainable, yep, you guessed it, still unattainable. I’ve had the patience, I’ve been waiting. I’m done waiting for my moment to come there; it’s time for me to do something else.

I don’t want to wake up another day thinking “what if?” For once in my life, I’m going to be proactive and not reactive. I’m done making the safe decisions and taking the easy way out in every situation. I’m 26 years old, it’s time to go balls to the wall and take some risks. In my heart of hearts, I know this is what I am meant to do, so it is what I plan on doing. All of the suit wearing and office bureaucracy, that’s now just a hobby. This is going to be my career; this will be my purpose in life. I’m not letting it slip away again.

The creative juices are flowing once more and everybody and everything is a target. While my dream of becoming a newsworthy writer is still a lofty one and I’ve set myself back quite a ways, I’m going to pour my blood, sweat and tears into this and give it everything I’ve got to make that dream come true.

So, to all the hack writers out there who do this for a living and think you’ve got talent, and believe me, there are A LOT of you, I hope you enjoyed your success while it lasted, because it’s about to be over for you. In the illustrious words of John Cena, your time is up, MY time is NOW.

Call it a comeback, call it the second coming, call it whatever you want. Fact of the matter is, after two long years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt:

FINALLY, THE RANT HAS COME BACK TO THE INTERNET

No comments:

Post a Comment